2017, most of the time around the WeChat ecosystem to make products, from small programs to corporate WeChat, from the C end to the B end, can not help but cause some thinking.
WeChat is the most successful product in China today. Is he doing the right thing? The same thing, when is it right, and when is it wrong? The opposite of the two things, why are they right at different times?
Business purpose > user experience.
1 Any product serves a specific business purpose and should not be full of user experience.
The user experience can make the company sustainable, but the company must survive first, so don’t put the user experience above the business purpose. The user experience can be made as good as possible while meeting specific business needs.
Always say how to experience WeChat, people have entertainment and advertising to provide sufficient financial support, but you do not. It’s not that WeChat is the winner. WeChat’s approach is good. The idea of losing the king is not helpful for personal growth. We must learn to critically look at a product. WeChat has something to learn and there is no place to learn.
- WeChat found that the game entrance often sends red dots and recommendation words, just like the QQ pop-up window, like psoriasis, whether you use it or not, he is there. Shake the bottle, but the bottle can be “hidden for the user experience” and let the user choose to hide.
- Friends circle advertising, whether you like it or not, he is “become part of your life.”
The reason is simple: interactive entertainment and advertising are currently the largest source of blood for Tencent, and WeChat and QQ are just two carriers. When the game is not the main source of income, perhaps this portal can also let the user choose to close for the user experience.
In order to build the entire enterprise ecosystem, it is not unreasonable to force users in a single function, but to be clever. For example, although the game entrance is disgusting, it does not give you a hint with a digital red dot, and it will not be displayed on the digital red dot of the desktop icon. User experience is good, just relative. User experience shouldn’t be an excuse for not thinking about profitability, and business purposes shouldn’t be the reason you ignore user experience.
2 Product features and priorities are subject to current corporate strategy
The impact of strategy on product function cannot be ignored. There is no best, only suitable. Every detail of WeChat used to be the most extreme in the eyes of consumers, but it is not the case now. For example, if you search for a group chat link, why can you only search for the article type (technically the message type of Webpage), but not search? What is the content of the url in the text message? Why can’t WeChat chat record cloud roaming?
The idea of 900 million users is definitely more improved than the WeChat product manager thinks, but it is not necessarily correct. Now it is not necessarily correct in the future. It is not necessarily true (because it is right) There are also many). Take a look at some of the “inconsistency” decisions of WeChat:
- Import the first wave of users from the QQ number to some reason to close the QQ registration WeChat entrance
- The “hormone function” that is spawned by a strategy that attracts some people to try to survive in internal competition: the shake function, the nearby people wait until the shake and the nearby people are plugged in and become a “closeable function”
- Do not make WeChat phone (although there is a separate application of WeChat phone book) to directly call VOIP to the user’s mobile phone, from the change of relationship with the operator. Tencent, which relies on the operator’s SP business, is unwilling to compete with operators who are mainly engaged in the telephone business until the popularity of the mobile Internet finds traffic as a new growth point for operators.
- At the beginning, I said that the small program that does not do centralized distribution will now focus on supporting the benchmark industry case. The search content will be given priority to some applications, and the traffic will be imported.
There are many more examples, but there is nothing wrong with this. Practice A is correct, and A’s opposite is correct. It is just the evolution of the company’s strategy. Originally, we pursued the ultimate WeChat on the C side, put more energy and resources on the B-end users, and the B-end users want to make profits. The products made by WeChat are impossible to completely disturb the users. More, it is to seek a balance, WeChat is also learning and growing. The original cold letter of WeChat, also listened to the opinions of industry partners and explored together.
3 Resources determine how far the product can go, and the vision determines how wide the product can go.
You have ideas that can drive the company’s decision-making layer and apply for resources;
You have an idea, you can write BP to finance;
If you have an idea, you can invite friends around you to help;
You have an idea, you can learn to implement MVP by yourself…
If you only have an idea, then it is no different from farting. For product managers, we must learn all the resources needed to achieve resources and meet the needs of users. Insufficient resources, the product can not go on. If you can be alone and want to be an independent developer, then you must first support yourself.
There are resources to keep the product going, but it will not be a good hand. It depends on the eye of the product manager or the boss.
For example, if you have a unique face recognition patent technology in your hand, you can first provide an API for other developers to pay for. This is a point. If you have always been such a single API, you can be a great independent developer, but you can never be a unicorn. By this patent:
- Can cooperate with the hardware company to generate an intelligent security camera to detect strangers immediately recording;
- Publish an album APP that is automatically classified and retrieved according to the face;
- Providing an Internet of Things face recognition module;
- Reconstruct 3D models after recognizing human feature points + VR/AR for remote immersive socialization
When various cooperation or related products are derived from core products, a complementary and coordinated matrix can be formed to form a broad-area ecology. If you take the example of WeChat you are most familiar with, it is from communication (voice)->social (friend circle, shake, nearby people)-> social reading: public number-> social payment (WeChat red envelope), social Entertainment (game) -> C-end to B-side (service number, enterprise WeChat)-> B, C-end integration (small program, investment in the field of government and people’s livelihood is as indispensable as water and electricity) ). From the communication tools to the water and electricity of the Internet, the vision determines the width of the product.
4 The right and wrong of product decision-making is relative; the routine is too late.
The same trick, in a different scene, he may be wrong. For example, there is a skill in product design, which is to increase the cost of leaving the user to achieve GMV or activity improvement.
For example, when a lot of PC software is uninstalled, ask if you are unloading because of the uncomfortable point, and then give the solution “intimate”, which is a good way to retain users.
However, Ctrip has several steps from the ticket details page to the ticket purchase completion page. Each step asks if you want other services (such as a private transfer). Even if you clicked Cancel in the previous step, the next step will still prompt you to purchase. . These additional services are checked by default throughout the process, increasing user operating costs to tying. Later, it was smashed by the network reds, the public relations crisis.
5 Policy and law are the bottom line of product design
Some processes cannot be simplified. For example, the money paid by the user to the merchant cannot be collected by the individual and the company. The funds paid by the user (such as Weizhong, Pudong, etc.) must directly directly pay the funds paid by the user. Enter the merchant’s payment account.
For example, if the user deposits money into the financial platform, such as paying interest to the user first, and then deducting the transaction fee from the user account, the transaction fee cannot be directly deducted from the interest and returned to the user. Listening to a friend who is a financial product said that they have to study a lot of financial and securities laws in their spare time to design a reasonable and legal product flow. Of course, if you don’t understand, you can also consult the company’s legal affairs after design. Generally, the risky business processes are subject to legal approval.
6 Identify the process and then do the functional design.
When I receive the request, I start to open the Axure painting and open the word to write, but this often only changes back to a skunk. Think clearly about the following questions, and the demand will not be as far as the North:
- What user? (such as white-collar workers)
- What are the needs of users? (such as eating)
- What are the scenarios that trigger this requirement? (such as company, home, restaurant)
- What resources are available in this scenario? (For example, the company has a microwave oven, and there is a rice cooker and kitchenware in the house)
- Is there any way to solve the demand? (For example, take a takeaway, bring your own food, go to the restaurant)
- What is the core process for solving the problem? Longitudinal thinking (such as opening a takeaway app-> selecting a store-> selecting a dish-> placing an order-> taking a takeaway-> eating)
- How to optimize each step of the core process? Horizontal thinking (such as the step of selecting a store, can you sort by the point of the user? If you do this, you must have a pre-process that prompts the user to authorize the location; can you personalize the recommendation according to the user’s taste? If this is the case, the user has to click on the preference or recommend it based on the historical order; can you get a hot list to recommend the user to the delicious? If so, you need a mechanism to prevent the merchant from swiping the list; Merchants are preferred to users?…)
After thinking about these issues, open your Axure.
1 products do not understand technology, can only do screws
Whether the product needs to understand technology is actually a topic of commonplace. I am talking about my thoughts:
If you have an internship or just graduated as a product manager, actually knowing the code doesn’t make much sense, because the general assignment to you is just to do a little function. You can record the professional terms they talked about during development communication, such as Redis. , Mysql, CDN and the like, you can search for these nouns in your spare time, and you can get an idea of the role of these things.
As you develop your career and even lead one or a few product lines, you will find that the understanding of R&D will limit your development.
- For example, the operation proposes to beautify the pictures of the community in the backstage of the operation, and develop “impossible, you want people to have so many functions of Mito Xiuxiu, how long have people done, where do we have schedules”, I will try Go online to find an open source or third-party photo editing SDK, and finally find the API of Meitu Xiu Xiu Advanced Edition. In private, ask the development “Can you give it a try?”, and the result is made in one afternoon. Imagine, even if I don’t need to write code, but if I don’t even know what the API is, I would like to think about it. I will talk about the choice of technology stack later (this is not the decision of the product manager, but the product manager is involved).
- As an example of hardware products, if you don’t know what ZIGBEE is, you don’t know which one-way communication, two-way communication, and hardware communication, you can’t figure out the hardware and mobile phone or even the server data. Stream, the software side you designed, the process is likely to run out. At this time, you should ask the hardware engineer to ask the logic inside. In the spare time, look for information on the Internet, buy a Raspberry Pi or Arduino board, and have a big handle on the Internet. If you copy and paste the code, There is nothing to say. After practicing it yourself, you will find a clearer understanding of the data flow in the entire product. The code that does not need to be written by the product can hold more concurrency and save more memory. Just figure out the data flow behind the product and the user data operation logic.
2 Familiar with the API and technical limitations of multi-terminal, in order to design the full-end product architecture
iOS and Android have been developed for many years, and many of the underlying communication and data processing APIs are already very rich. Basically, you can think of it, you can do it on the APP, so for the product manager, it is to pay attention to the new release of each new version of iOS and Android. Ability, such as Callkit for iOS 10 and CoreNFC for iOS 11.
- If you want to combat it, you can try iOS’s API or Kotlin to write Android’s API through Swift.
- If you don’t want to write your own, you can check out the interpretation of these new APIs on the website of Jane, CDSN, Bole Online.
Do you know what it is for?
For example, Callit can identify strange incoming calls. Everyone knows that Tencent mobile butler and 360 mobile phone housekeeper have such functions, but they don’t know that our own company’s products can also be used. For example, Jingdong APP can use this interface to help users mark Jingdong couriers. Group take-out can help users mark the courier phone number registered with the group, so the sub-users will not reject the strange caller number.
It is also worth mentioning that the function of WeChat voice chat invitation directly on the lock screen is also dependent on CallKit, and the coverage of devices based on iOS10 or above is already very high. Knowing and even knowing these API interfaces will provide more possibilities for your product optimization and new feature design.
WeChat applets are not packaged for many system-level APIs. They are only used frequently, so we need to know which functions are done on the APP and which functions are done on the WeChat applet. The WeChat applet is used for one-time, temporary functions, and the APP is suitable for some heavy users. It needs to be opened frequently, can be opened directly from the desktop, and can use the API provided by the system to do more services for heavy users. The specific terminal selection can be seen in the article I wrote before. The most practical guide! Change your posture and go deep into WeChat applet
Once you are familiar with the APIs of each platform, the product architecture design on each platform will be more convenient.
3 What procedures do you need to know about technology? What is the role of the technology learned by the product?
It is best to understand a programming language, and your own amateur can write small scripts instead of some repetitive work.
Go to Github, Medium, Know the column, etc. to learn about technology trends, prefaces, and open source frameworks. Learning technology is to have a common language with development, rationally negotiate the research and development cycle in order to develop and discuss the feasibility plan of the fixed scheduling period, make functional trade-offs, and also use new technology to break through product boundaries.
When it comes to new technologies, in large companies, cutting-edge research has specialized pre-research departments or research institutes. The research direction is set by the executives. Do some functional research that you think is a fantasy, beyond the current product. Demand, technical reserve for the future. This is generally not the case for us to intervene, but we can learn about their latest research results through internal forums, etc., and think about what technologies can be productized and help improve the functionality of existing products.
For startups, non-technical, open source, cloud services, third-party SDKs, do not write their own, quickly verify the product direction; technical, do not invest too much R & D resources in non-main business, such as Focusing on voice recognition technology, Xunfei does not need to put R&D resources into cloud storage, and can use seven cattle storage services. Product managers can participate in the technology selection of these third-party services to see if their SDK documentation can meet the current needs and future expansion of the product. If you have time in your spare time, you can try to access their SDKs yourself, so that you can be more reasonable when you ask for them.
1 Learn with one person, don’t listen to what he says, see what he does
For the sake of accuracy, I went to the Tencent University website to take a picture. Now everyone knows that there are more than one entry (search, drop-down, discovery) for small programs; it can be opened from only scanning code to long-pressing QR code; small programs and public numbers can be bound;
From this example, what I have learned is not the idea of running out of the way, but the continuous learning mentality, fully communicating with the B-end users, understanding the characteristics of each industry, and trying not to disturb the requirements of the B-end users. To the C-end user, seek a balance between business and humanity. Learn to adjust the product strategy in a timely manner according to the industry and user response. To achieve 900 million users, we strictly limit the recruitment of WeChat, limit the expansion of the team size, learn what is best use, and do our best.
2 Those who can enter BAT are not necessarily the most powerful people, but they must be the most suitable people.
Recruiting people does not have to be the best, enough to use. The arrogant people are often too assertive. The kind of person is suitable for starting a business or bringing a team. A team needs such a leader, but not all of them. Otherwise, the team has no self-confidence.
Sometimes a startup company makes a preliminary product demo. If a graduate can be satisfied with development, don’t hire a person with hundreds of thousands of annual salary to write. Write a framework that can resist 10W concurrency, but only a few users are wasting resources. So the company wants people who meet the needs of the current stage, not that you are arrogant, all companies will want you. If the interview didn’t pass, it doesn’t mean that you are very junk. You can only say, “We are not suitable.”
3 Is the captain or the screw on the boat?
Society needs a division of labor, and it is impossible for all people to be bosses. But don’t just focus on one tool or one skill, because industry and technology are changing rapidly, and more and more people are needed, cross-border people.
For example, you can focus on the product manager of the C-side software, but don’t limit yourself to e-commerce products. When there is a live product offer to you, you say “I am not familiar with”. No one is familiar with the products when they are born. .
For example, you can choose to operate as your profession, but you can’t just write soft texts. The entire operating system, you need to go hunting and break through.
According to your own understanding of the industry, as long as there are prospects, you can try. You will find that there are many commonalities between different products (such as the development process). As for different places, you need to quickly learn about new industries. Do not set limits for yourself, jump out of the comfort zone, multi-disciplinary and multi-career development.
Of course, you have to be a professional screw, no one will oppose you. After all, a ship needs a captain and every screw on the ship.
4 When you can’t mobilize your company’s resources, you are the best resource.
Learn more skills in all aspects, in order to make up for the lack of people, but in the case of the company or the team has resources, do not go to grab other things to do, should release your time to think.
5 You can’t agree with the boss’s needs, but you can’t do it.
In making decisions, the boss is not necessarily right, unless you can convince him that he is wrong, otherwise he has to do it according to his direction and ideas. Although the product manager is the closest place to the CEO, the gap between the product manager and the boss is like the distance between a certain degree and Google. The product manager only provides solutions and recommendations, and the boss is the person who makes strategic decisions. The boss also needs to balance the team, the law, the finance, the partnership, the investor’s will, he knows more information than you know, and needs more balanced interests, so don’t always think that the boss can’t reasonably ask such an absurd demand. You can keep your opinion, but also think about why the boss does this. When he is free, he can learn more about his ideas and broaden his ideas.
6 Do more and write more, read the book of knowledge framework, the information is rough, the micro lesson does not look
Look at your annual report on each major platform, how many million words you read, and look back and see that you haven’t learned anything. Ask more about the big cows in the industry, look at some books in the system, build your own knowledge network from the whole, draw a mind map, and then learn according to this “map”, single point breakthrough, with a point to face, “light up “This map. Information can be swiped quickly, but keep an eye on the industry, the development of technology, and broaden your horizons.
to sum up
2017, from C to B, from app to small program, enterprise WeChat multi-end solution, from software to hardware, from functional design to product architecture design, from traditional machine learning to deep learning, thanks to the hard work, thanks Those who have helped me.